Our recipe for Coconut Curry Chickpeas is so hearty, it can be used as a side or a main course. Infusing flavors from India, our Coconut Curry Chickpeas may be the Vegan dish yours kids will actually eat! Just one pan makes clean up simple. If you want some extra protein, this dish tastes great with grilled chicken.
Coconut Curry Chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or other neutral oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Shake of cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas drained
- 1 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes undrained see note 1
- 1 13.5 oz. can coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk see note 2
- 2-3 teaspoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- Sea salt
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped plus more for garnish
- lime wedges for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add the spices and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the drained chickpeas and crushed tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add in the coconut cream, maple syrup, and plenty of salt. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Serve over cauliflower or basmati rice with more chopped cilantro for garnish.