Here’s our version of one of Spain’s classic tapas: tortilla española. The key is to leave the eggs slightly undercooked; that’s what gives this a custardy (not bouncy) texture.
Traditional Spanish Tortilla
Servings 8 Slices
- 3 tbsp Avocado oil or EVOO
- 4 Russet potatoes (~2lbs), disc slices
- 1 Spanish onion, sliced
- 10 large eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups cups of spinach, chopped (optional nutrition bonus)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a cast iron skillet, heat up oil on medium-high heat. Pan fry potatoes until slightly tender but still have some resistance.
- Add onions and other vegetables you decide to use and cook until tender.
- Add beaten eggs to the pan and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Place skillet in the oven and cook for about 15min or until eggs are cooked through. You can use a fork to see if eggs are fully cooked. Turn on broiler and broil eggs on high until a nice crust has formed.
- Cut into eight slices, and enjoy with friends or meal prep for the week.